I honestly think K. Rajagobal should handle the national football team.
1. He's the second most qualified coach in terms of credentials, after the sacked B. Sathianathan.
2. He's the most senior technician within FAM's walls.
3. He has worked with the majority of the younger set of players in the senior set-up.
4. It's about time FAM broaden the base for younger coaches.
5. Rajagobal cannot hide behind the word development by insisting he remains the youth coach.
Let Rajagobal take over the national team which has only one qualifiers to look forward to this year, while at the same time remain as the supremo of the Under-23 team that has the Intercontinental Cup (May-June), the Merdeka Tournament (August) and the Sea Games in Laos in December. If FAM decides to expose the Under-23 side all the way, then the national team has only two international matches left - the Asian Cup qualifiers against Uzbekistan in Tashkent on Nov 14 and four days later in Petaling Jaya.
I was told FAM had shortlisted 10 candidates but team manager Datuk Gulzar Mohamad picked Dollah Salleh, currently coach of Shahzan Muda in the Premier League.
By right the team manager cannot interfere or being tasked with appointing the coach. He might as well pick the whole squad then!
My pick? 1. Rajagobal, 2. Azraai Khor, 3. K. Devan, 4. Dollah Salleh, in that order. Read here